Monday, November 7, 2011

here's to living...

I feel like I've been lost the past few weeks. I haven't been really keeping up with any of my friends, family or this blog. I can tell you that I've been working...more like working my ass off to be exact. Working 12 hour days, working on-call, doing two - sometimes three jobs all at one time. When I get home I seem to have little to no energy. I don't like being this way...

I am one of those people who like to think I work to live, not live to work. Don't get me wrong - I like my job, I enjoy the people I work with, the company is nice but I don't gauge my happiness on how much work I got done. I usually gauge it on how much fun I had or how many times I laughed that day.

True story - each day I would come home from school or work and my Mom would ask me, "How was your day?" and I would answer with, "Ok", "Good" or "Really crappy" (you get the picture)...and then her next question would usually be, "Did you have any good laughs today?" and honestly, I usually did. So then I would start to chuckle and begin telling her why I was laughing. 

Isn't that what life is about? Enjoying your family and friends? Spending quality time with the people you love? Not being stuck in a cubical listening to people whine about how they forgot their password and can't get in to check their email. Yes, it pays the bills and maybe I'm sitting here and complaining and whining because I haven't had a personal day off in 10 months, or had a vacation in over a year. I'm sure some of you are thinking - you should be lucky to even have a job in this economy. Believe me, I am. I have been laid off and out of work for months. The last job I had was horrific and I only accepted it because I needed to work. (that's a whole other blog post...) I'm thankful to have a job but a girl needs a break after working her ass off.

Well, here it is...I finally have off this Friday. I am so excited to be off and for good reason. I'm having some out of town guests come for the weekend. I get to show my friends Lia and David what Levittown and Philadelphia have to offer. I'm really excited to be living this weekend and not working. I know there will be lots of laughter, no drama, no complaints and just thinking about it makes me smile.

Here's to living everyone. Cheers. :)

5 comments:

  1. Here's to laughter!☺ Knowing you as I do...I'm sure even while working and listening to the whiners or stress of the day...your laughter was in the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your mom asked you that everyday—such great positivity! I can't wait to live this weekend (and eat lots of cheese steaks!) Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is certainly a blessing to have a job in this economy, but that doesn't mean you have to work like a slave and be happy about it. Everyone needs some time to truly enjoy life, I'm glad you're getting some this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies and I truly agree with you Steph. It is important to take time and enjoy life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. WW Momma is the best! I'm going to make sure I ask the same of my daughter when she comes home from school everyday. That is, if she ever comes out :)

    ReplyDelete