For those that don't know - one of my many nicknames is "Bambi"...Tom calls me it because when we met he found out that my high school mascot was Bambi, the Disney character. He thought it was hilarious that he was a hunter who hunts deer and that Bambi was my mascot. The name stuck and was eventually shortened to "B".
Since I was little, my Mom has always had some type of vegetable garden. I grew up in Northeast Philly, we didn't have much grass around our house but my Mom was able to find a space in our backyard to grow tomatoes and other veggies each summer. We eventually moved into a bigger home with a backyard and she always had her garden each summer with veggies and herbs. I like to think that my sister and I have been blessed with my Mom's green thumb. I was able to bring a plant back to life after it was literally on it's last leaf. It was a housewarming plant that Tom got when he first bought his house. I moved in and the plant is thriving! :) I should have taken a before picture.
Since I was little, my Mom has always had some type of vegetable garden. I grew up in Northeast Philly, we didn't have much grass around our house but my Mom was able to find a space in our backyard to grow tomatoes and other veggies each summer. We eventually moved into a bigger home with a backyard and she always had her garden each summer with veggies and herbs. I like to think that my sister and I have been blessed with my Mom's green thumb. I was able to bring a plant back to life after it was literally on it's last leaf. It was a housewarming plant that Tom got when he first bought his house. I moved in and the plant is thriving! :) I should have taken a before picture.
The past two years I have been doing my gardening in pots. I usually do tomatoes, peppers and herbs. This year we made my dream come true and made an official garden. My first ever. I can't tell you how excited I am. I LOVE my garden.
Last year Tom took down an old wooden fence that was falling apart in our backyard. He re-used the fence and created my garden space. We had an old chain link fence gate in our backyard as well. I don't know where it came from...I think the old lady that lived there before us had it in the yard somewhere? Anyway...my garden was basically pieced together by stuff we had just laying around. That's another reason why I love it so much.
This past Memorial Day weekend Tom, my sister Regina and I prepped the garden area. It took about a day and a half to get everything setup and planted.
Here is what my garden consists of...
2 Cucumber Plants
3 Tomato Plants
6 Pepper Plants
2 Basil Plants
Rosemary
Cilantro
Lavender
Oregano
Parsley
Chives
and partridge in a pear tree...
I know your thinking...wow! it sounds like a lot...and it is a lot! Meanwhile it's just me, Tom and Ralph. (Ralph only likes carrots) I plan on sharing with friends and neighbors so don't worry - it won't be going to waste! So far we have some buds on the pepper and cucumber plants and tomatoes are really starting to sprout up! I can't wait to try all of our delicious veggies. Stay tuned for more posts of what I made with our crops. :)
Here are some pictures so you can see how the garden is developing:
![]() |
| entrance |
![]() |
| bench and walkway |
![]() |
| tomato plants |
![]() |
| cucumber plants |
![]() |
| lavender/cilantro/basil |
![]() |
| peppers |
![]() |
| gnome |
![]() |
| bird bath |








One word..."Perfection"!
ReplyDeleteawesome garden - my cucumbers are growing wild, too!
ReplyDeletehey!! your garden is beautiful and i am so glad i saw it in person! thanks for letting us crash last night!! i started a blog too! mys-cl.blogspot.com!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ann Marie - I'll put you on under my "Blogs I love" list. :)
ReplyDelete